10 tips for a happy heartRuwan M
Keep your heart in top condition with these simple pointers.
- Choose fish. Cold-water fish which contain protective omega-3 fatty acids has been shown to reduce the risk of cardiovascular health problems. Among the best choices are wild salmon, sardines and herring.
- Get in your exercise. Aerobic activity helps maintain heart health. Walking is inexpensive and a popular way to stay fit –– all it takes is a little motivation and a comfortable pair of shoes.
- Control waist size. Make sure you have more low-fat, high-fibre and low sugar foods than other types, and choose more low-fat and fat-free dressings, condiments, sauces and table spreads instead of full-fat ones.
- Take vitamin E, a well-known protective nutrient for the cardiovascular system that may reduce the risk of serious cardiovascular complaints.
- Also consider taking CoQ10 and fish oil for their antioxidant and vessel protecting qualities.
- Get Smart About Smoking. Smoking is a major risk factor for cardiovascular disease, but that risk can be reduced by stopping smoking at ANY age.
- I’ll drink to that. Red wine contains antioxidants and flavonoids, and has been associated with heart protection.
- You can have your chocolate and eat it too! That is, if it’s dark chocolate. Pure dark chocolate contains a very high amount of catechins (a heart healthy antioxidant). Enjoy it with black grapes and wash it down with a beverage containing natural cocoa powder or tea, additional excellent sources of these heart healthy compounds.
- Have a hearty laugh. Very few things in life are better than a good laugh and it turns out that laughing heartily is good for the heart. Enjoy the lighter side of life with family and friends.
- Manage stress well. Be proactive and address issues as they arise. Try exercise such as yoga, which gives you both a mental and physical lift.